About Me

My photo
This is a blog for my son. He has a rare auto immune disease that causes his body to attack food like it would a virus making it impossible for him to eat most any foods with out getting very very sick. This is a record of our ups and downs, doctor visits and procedures. Our trial and error life of finding out what foods are safe for our son to eat and eliminating the ones that are not from his life.

Grab my button!


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Day in the Life - Link-up Party!

At the insistence of my sweet sister over at Living with Renewed Strength I've decided to try out this link up thing. :) I'm linking up with Holly who is hosting this little "Day in the Life" shin-dig.
So, the idea is to give you all a peek into my life here at The Hemme Haven on a normal day for us, so here goes!

*edit* I could not get the button to work :( but I linked back to your blog above Holly. :)

6:15am The Hubsters alarm goes off and Sadie, our 4 year old Corgi jumps up for a cuddle.

7:30am John wakes up, so I drag myself out of bed and go get the happiest kiddo on the planet out of bed. Diaper change and into the highchair. I brush John's teeth and he get's some medicine that is pretty much nexium for babies and has to wait half an hour before he can eat after taking it. So I turn on Leap Frog Phonics Farm. While he's watching that, I weigh myself, brush my teeth, let the dogs out, back in, and feed them, then I get to drink my protein shake. Sometimes I have to wash bottles from the night before.

8:00am John get's his first bottle of the day. I usually make his first bottle of the morning 1.5cal/ml but since we are trialing sweet potatoes right now, I make a 6oz 1cal/ml bottle with about two tablespoons of pureed sweet potatoes in his morning bottle. We watch Leap Frog Number Land while he's eating to keep him distracted enough to eat with out thinking about it. It takes him about half an hour or so to finish a 6oz bottle.

8:30am I turn on our favorite Pandora station, Raffi, and John plays while I check my email, Facebook, and get John's cloth diapers ready for the day.

10:00am On Tuesday and Thursday John has therapy from 11-12 so on those days I start getting us both ready to leave which involves brushing my hair and finding clean clothes for us both, a diaper change, packing John's bag, and any food we are trialing.

10:50 Walk out the door to go to therapy.

11:00am-12:00pm John is in therapy with his Occupation Therapist who we LOVE. She has brought him so far with his oral aversion and things are improving every week. She usually uses a Z-Vibe off and on through out the session. She works with him drinking water out of  a cup. Works on gross and fine motor skills. If we are trialing a food, like we are right now, she will work on getting him to eat that food with a spoon. The last 10-15 mins she lets him play in the gym. He loves the ball pit and the swing.

12:15pm Back home for a diaper change and a quick 1 cal/ml bottle of Elecare Jr Vanilla, then it's NAP TIME! My most favorite and least favorite time of day.

12:30-2:30pm John naps. I, however, eat lunch, usually left overs from dinner the night before, pick up the living room, vacuum. Do dishes, clean the counters, whatever laundry needs to be done, and general tidying up. If there is any time left I might sew, crochet, update the ol' blog, and/or Facebook stalk. Some days I even indulge in a nap for myself!

2:30pm John starts to wake so I get his sweet potatoes into a bowl, then go get him. Change his diaper again, and try to get him to eat a little bit. Depending on how much he ate of that I might make a small bottle since it's only been a couple of hours since he ate last he wont eat much.
The rest of the afternoon is pretty much just spent doing whatever. Playing around the house, going to the park, going shopping, whatever we are in the mood for. No real schedule, except John's feeding.

4:00pm John gets another bottle and another diaper change. 1.5 cal/ml OR 1cal/ml with sweet potatoes.

5:00pm Hubby comes home and I start cooking dinner while he get's some one on one time with the boy. I love hearing my son giggle while I'm cooking, knowing that he is thoroughly enjoying his Daddy.
When we eat depends on what I cook but John sits in his highchair watching a movie while we eat.

6:30pm Not every night, more like every other night, The Hubs gives John a bath. Every night, he gets more medicine. Feed the dogs again.

7:00pm One last bottle for John, usually an 8oz 1.5cal/ml.

7:30-7:45 John goes down for the night.

8:00-11:00pm The Hubby and I watch TV, talk, surf the internet. We both clean up the living room and kitchen. Hubs get's all he needs for work the next day ready to go. I throw a load of cloth diapers into the wash and then it's off to bed!

And there you have it! A day in the life of The Hemme's
Sorry I don't have a bunch of cute pictures to accompany my play by play. This was a last minute post and I've not documented most of these things before. Maybe I'll do that one day. 
I hope you enjoyed your peek into our life. 


  1. Thanks so much for linking up with us. I enjoyed reading about your day.

    1. thank you! I wish I could have gotten the button to work though.... :(

  2. Margie!! Thanks for linking up with us! I'm curious now about eosinophile disorder. My husband suffers from Crohn's disease, which sounds similar, but not as painful as what your son is dealing with.

    And Amen on the Pandora! Can't start the day without it!

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    1. Holly, I guess it is similar to Crohn's because John was checked for that first! If you want to learn more about EoE there are some great resources at www.apfed.com and, of course, you can continue to follow my blog! :) This was my first link up and I enjoyed it! Thank you!

  3. I just started reading your blog and I went all the way back to the beginning and read! It is very interesting, and I feel myself cheering for your family and hoping that sweet potatoes is a safe food for John! Keep up the great work and stay strong!

    1. Thank you for reading and for your encouraging words!